Friday, February 12, 2010

Lightning Thief

So today I went to the movies in town. It cost 5.30 GBP for students to go to the movies here. I went to see the Lightning Thief!!!! I was sooo excited when I saw trailers for this movie, I think I might have even squealed a little bit when I realized what the trailer was for. You see I've read all 5 books in the series so I was really geeked out about going to see it. I was hoping that I would be able to talk some of my friends into going with me, but no one really seemed interested... so I headed into town by myself. I ended up getting there 20-30 mins early, so I took some pictures for your enjoyment!

Here is the poster of Lightning Thief. This movie was really good, and I thought that it followed the book pretty well... but then again I read the book like 5 years ago?? Or maybe even longer. I got the book for free at a library party (Yes. I went to library parties every week in high school haha) I got the book before it even came out to the masses. My cover isn't even the cover that is on all of the regular books. So yeah, I read the book a looong time ago! But I just finished the 5th book right before I came here. :) So I remembered everything... vaguely. So I guess I'm not the BEST expert on how well it follows the books, but it pleased me.
I'm not sure how well you can tell, but this is a picture of Medusa and Percy Jackson. This series is really fun. It's a good combination of new and old, it mixes greek mythology with the modern world which makes an intriuging story that is very easy to follow. I thought there were several really funny parts to the movie. I love how they are hunting for ancient objects, but the song "Poker face" is playing as the background music... that was probably my favorite part of the movie, because it really made me laugh. I can't wait... maybe for the second movie they'll play "I'm on a boat" Hahahaha!! (Get it? He's the son of Posidon... on a boat... ok... ok... bad joke) But anyways... overall I just thought it was really well done. I'm just curious as to how well the movie is going to do. I'm hoping that it's a hit so that they make the rest of the movies. I think that will take a lot though... Percy Jackson isn't quite as catchy of a name as Harry Potter... but they DO have something in common... they both have the same director. Chirstopher Columbus directed the first and second Harry Potter movies... so I'm hoping his new series takes off too, because I think the 5th book would be an AWESOME movie.
I had to take a picture of this ticket, because I thought it really threw me off. When I first walked into the movies I really didn't know where to go to get my ticket. They didn't have a box office. There was no listing of what movies was playing, and no apparent place to buy the tickets. So I kind of wandering around for a while... trying to look cool and nonchanlantly watching where other people went to get their tickets. After some smooth observations I finally realized that you bought your tickets at the concession stand.... which I thought was brillant marketing point of view. That way you get your ticket and then they can easily try to sell you some popcorn and drinks. However, from a logistics point of view I'm pretty shocked by their setup... I'm going to have to remember never to get to the movies late on a Friday night, because I'd suspect it could take FOREVER to get your ticket! Another thing that really shocked me was the woman selling me the ticket had to ask me so many questions!! First of all, the seating is not "first come, first serve" Ohh no they give you the option of paying for a better seat. When I picked the standard ticket (I was a little bit worried where I was going to sit) she then asked me if I'd like to sit in the front, middle, or top. I was like... I'll take the middle. So she gives me my ticket with my row number and seat on it. I looked at the ticket a little bit surprised... I've never had an assigned seat at the movie theatres before. I don't even know how they could enforce it, because there definetely wasn't anyone checking in the theatre (although my movie wasn't very crowded at all).
Notice how crowded the theatre was?? Haha. Granted this was 20-30 mins before the show started, it did end up getting a little more crowded. But I ended up getting a pretty good seat right in the middle :) Yay! The theatre was really nice, and the seats were soooo comfortable! It was probably the most comfortable movie seat I've ever had the pleasure sitting in. The seats don't fold up, and the armrests are really nice!
As you can see a zoomed in picture of armrests. I was very pleased by them that I couldn't resist taking a picture! Right before the movie started my friend Julia showed up... which shocked me completely! I didn't think that she was going to come. I guess she woke up at 1 today, and was like hrmm I guess I'll go catch that 1:50 movie with Mel after all, so she caught the 1:15 bus and made it there right in time for the previews. I was quite shocked to see her, but very pleased none the less, because then I had someone to chat about the movie with afterwards and catch the bus home with. Yay!
But if you haven't seen the Lightning Thief already (which since it just came out today I'm assuming you haven't)... I would recommend going to see it!!

Icon of the Seas Trip Review

The night before our cruise we stayed at Dania Point like we have in the past at the Hyatt.  We got there and tried to go swimming but the p...