Thursday, February 18, 2010

In class

Yes today was another class day. I was in my sociology class talking about the media. My teacher was talking about how in American movies British people are always the villians, and I was kinda sitting in class going... eh?? Really? I never noticed that... So we had this debate on it in class, and then determined that prior 9/11 the US villianized British people but now they have shifted their interests into not liking Arab people. I couldn't really debate this too hardly, because I can't really say that I remember much about villians in TV shows before that time. Can anyone else shine some light on this for me? I always thought that British people were seen as romantic interests in most movies and not the villians.

Also in my class we started talking about Disney. Now everyone knows my love of Disney whether it be their parks, their movies, or any other interests that Disney might have... So when my teacher started digging into Disney I was a little bit dismayed. She was talking about how the media defines womens roles, particularly Disney movies, because a lot of them are aimed at young girls. My teacher talked about how Disney doesn't have strong female characters. Like Snow White all she did was happily clean the house and take care of men... and then she needed saving by the prince. Then we talked about the Little Mermaid, and how she can't use her voice to convince the prince she is worthy of him she can only use her face and her body to convince him. And yadda yadda it went on and on. My class was trying desperately to try to come up with a strong classical female character. So yes, my spirits were a little bit down after that class haha. It's very interesting seeing sociology in a British point of view. Today in my lecture for the class (yes I had the class two times today) we talked about how Britian was the highest surveyed country in the world, and that there are cameras everywhere watching people.

We talked about how the government and businesses collects massive amounts of data on people basically to learn what they like, where they go, what they do, how much money they have, what their health is like, and so on... The lecture was talking about how the government collects this data to be able to better control people. It's really interesting, and I'm doing a poor job of explaining how this data helps the government control people, but I'm writing a major essay on it in the next couple of days for class... so if anyones interested in reading more about it let me know and I'll let you read my paper! I think it's going to be really interesting, and of any topic that I could have gotten I'm excited that mine is over this. :)

On a happier note there is another Caliedh tonight and I think I might be going to it. :)

Icon of the Seas Trip Review

The night before our cruise we stayed at Dania Point like we have in the past at the Hyatt.  We got there and tried to go swimming but the p...