Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Differences...

Today was a very nice day in Aberdeen! First I went to the library as I had planned to do, but they didn't have the text book that I wanted for my class. So I had to actually buy a book for one of my classes! I know, it's horrible! The book was only 12.50 though :) which was pretty good I thought. I think it's the only book I'll have to buy for classes. Yippee!! After that I decided to head into the town. The finally stopped today, and it was really pretty out so I thought a trip to the beach was in order! I sat there for an hour or so watching the waves and reading from my newly purchased textbook.

After that I had to figure out how to get back into town, so I started walking towards land marks that I recognized. I was a little bit turned around, because I usually come into Aberdeen from the opposite direction then where I was coming from today, but in the end I found my way back. I ran into Morrison's or the grocery store here and I bought some essential items.

In Scotland and England people always say "cheerio" meaning have a good day/bye/thanks. It gave me a whole new meaning to the cereal Cheerios! With is one of the only types of US cereals they have here! And I was like ohhh wow, I'll never seen Cheerios the same again. Also, the marketing here and the marketing in the United States kind of amazes me. Take Uncle Ben's rice for example. In the US whenever you pick up a package of Uncle Ben's it says right on the label that you can make it in the microwave in 90 seconds, and that's a big marketing point. Well I was shopping today and I saw Uncle Ben's rice on sale, but it didn't say that it could be cooked in 90 seconds. I was a bit perplexed so I picked up the box and sure enough you can make it in the same amount of time they just don't advertise it here. I guess speed is a selling point to American's but not Scottish people?? I don't know... it threw me for a loop today.

I'm excited I'm heading to the photography club tonight with my flatmate Kris! Apparently they teach people how to do photoshop and they have trips just for the purpose of being able to take nice pictures! Woohoo!! You all should know I love taking pictures! Maybe I'll learn something in photoshop this semester and be able to create something cool on here! :) We shall see!

Icon of the Seas Trip Review

The night before our cruise we stayed at Dania Point like we have in the past at the Hyatt.  We got there and tried to go swimming but the p...