Saturday, March 20, 2010

Scary Situation!

Due to the fact that I am not coming back to school until Tuesday after spring break, and I have two papers due on that Monday I am writing both of my essays that I need to turn in next week this weekend. So in order to write the paper I needed books for research... so yesterday off to the library I went. I was searching for references to Queen Margaret of the Scots who lived in 1043 and let me tell you finding books on her is no easy feat! I did find two books that were purely about her, and then the catalog said that another book was in the "lower ground floor" and I was currently on the ground floor so I was really confused for a moment. I ended up asking a librarian what it meant and she was like ohhh that's the bottom level you just have to go down those stairs. That section is where we keep the older books.

I was like oh alright thanks. So unsuspectingly I went down into what should have been called the basement. It was full of EXTREMELY old books. I felt like I'd walked into an ancient tomb and was staring at priceless artifacts. I was the only person down there and it was super creepy! The creepiest part was that they had so many books selves that they were closed bookshelves. I should have taken a picture because you can't really understand what I'm trying to say if you can't see it... I've been in a lot of libraries and this is a first for me!

The shelves were compacted onto each other and there was one open aisle you had to turn a level which in turn moved all of the levelers of all of the other book cases and the book case started closing in on the open aisle and opening up the aisle you wanted to go into. Talk about the walls closing in on ya! I had my ipod on and I started winding away because I was confused as to what was going to happen. After I'd gone halfway through I saw a sign that said "Please check open aisle before turning knob" and I was like oh crap! So I ran over to the now halfway aisle and checked it and luckily no one was in there! I would have squashed them into the bookcase! How horrible would that have been. And the book shelves move really slowly so you really can't even tell that they are closing in on you until it gets tight!

Talk about the perfect murder scene type of place. You should squash someone in and then just walk away. It's in the bottom level of the library that probably no one ever goes down into very often, and I doubt anyone would even hear someone yelling that was trapped down there!

With this flashing threw my mind I was looking around for anyone and then I briskly started scanning the shelves for the book I needed. I was praying the whole time please don't be in the middle of the shelf... please don't be in the middle of the shelf... and luckily the section I need was at the very end of the bookcase haha. But I was still rushing through trying to get out of their as soon as I could because it was really freaky down there. The books were ancient, but I'm talking about an ancient civilization so I'm sure it would have been revelant haha. In the end though I decided that those books were to fragile and old I didn't want to take them out of the library because I didn't want to damage them.... and quite frankly I didn't want to scan the shelves searching for some obscure book that I'll quote one line in my paper haha.

But yeah I hate the library on this campus. Once again I was trying to find a book that I needed, and the shelving system here makes no sense! It jumps around to different sections and it's really hard to find the book that you need. Also they don't have any books to read just for fun there either so it's a boring library. Now add on the cryptic basement with the wall closing bookcases and I'm quite glad that I'm finishing up my last papers in Aberdeen so I don't have to go there anymore!! I'll stick with public user friendly libraries from now on!

Icon of the Seas Trip Review

The night before our cruise we stayed at Dania Point like we have in the past at the Hyatt.  We got there and tried to go swimming but the p...