Sunday, January 31, 2010

Phone Heaven

It seems like today went by waaay too quickly, but I guess that happens when the sun sets at 4:30. My friends and I all hung out for a little while today, then we went to the down town area and went shopping. We all got a something that is really going to improve our quality of life/happiness here. I really never considered myself a person that is completely dependent on my phone, but not having one really sucks! Whenever we split up we have specify when and where we are going to meet again, and it's really a big hassle. Also, there is just something about having a phone that makes you feel connected with the world. So first thing we did today was walk into down and browse the numerous phone shops and plans available. We all ended up getting cheap £5 phones that are pay as you go. However, the great part about it is when you pre pay you get 300 free international minutes for 30 days. Then if I want more international minutes I can call on my phone (which is like 25 pence per minute) or I can just top up. When I do that I get 300 more mintues. So today I prepaid £20 onto my phone, and I now have a phone on me and can call my friends if I need to, and I won't have to get a calling card and find some obscure phone to call home with. I have to call my customer service number tomorrow to activate my free international minutes, so I should be able to make calls after class tomorrow.

I'm a lot happier now that I have a phone, and I feel like it was the best £25 that I could have spent. And I'm hoping that it's going to last for a good while. I'm hoping that I won't have to top up every month, but we'll see what happens. But I have a feeling that we'll have to go back there sometime and thank the nice "fit" Scottish boy that helped us for about an hour figure out what plan and phone we wanted! ("fit" is the word people in the UK use for people they find attractive. I've come to the conclussion that it means hot) He's in the business school at Aberdeen so Jessie and I were like ohhh hiii helpful Scottish boy. Haha. It was pretty funny. I have a feeling that Jessie might have been crushing on him a wee bit.

Last night I spent all night talking to my flat mate, and she's a really nice girl. I learned that she is actually a foriegn exchange student from Finland, but she's studying here for a whole year instead of just a semester. So she was giving me a lot of tips, and telling me about some organizations that I should join. I'm pretty excited about it. She seems really nice. It looks like there is a lot of hiking in my future!

Last night I also realized that my power sockets didn't work. I think that my fuse blew when my alarm clock blew up. I talked to the guy working at our front desk and he said that he was going to go and fix it. So I'm hoping that it's all fixed now. I haven't been in my room all day long (since 11:30). Basically I just slept there, woke up, ate some cheerios, and haven't really been back since... except maybe to drop somethings off real quick. But I expect that once I get my internet working I will spend more time in my room, instead of walking to the computer lab every night (it's really loud in here!) I'm going to take my computer to IT tomorrow and see if they can help me set it up. But that means that I can't update pictures yet :( I feel like I should be taking a super lot for you all, but the truth is I haven't really taken ALL that many. I have taken quite a few, but I haven't really been anywhere too great yet. I've just been in town, which pretty much looks like any other town in the world... so it's not all that exciting to take pictures of... I have taken a few though. I've taken some of my friends, my flat, the waterhole, and around town a bit.

Tonight my new best friends (Julia and Jessie, I hang out with a bunch of people but I usually hang out with the two of them on a constant/consistent basis) and I all ate dinner at this really awesome chinese place. It was a really cool setup, and I took some pictures there too! So hopefully whenever my computer starts working I'll have some cool pictures for you all to look at!

One new thing that I learned today is that hand sanatizer is apparently "hand gel" here.

Oh one last thing, I'm really curious as to who reads my blog. I'd really like it if you'd send me a facebook message if you read my blog, because if no one is reading it I feel silly writing it everyday! So yeah, please let me know :)

Tomorrow is the first day of classes, and I'll probably be out and about all day long again... but then again by the time all of my classes are done and I run most of my errands it'll probably be like... noon at home hahaha.

Icon of the Seas Trip Review

The night before our cruise we stayed at Dania Point like we have in the past at the Hyatt.  We got there and tried to go swimming but the p...