Saturday, January 30, 2010

Arrival update!

Sorry for the delay of posts, but these past couple days have been really really super busy!!! I thought on Wednesday that I was almost packed up but I ended up having more packing to do than I thought!!! I packed the entire day on Thursday. I was planning on updating my blog in Chicago or in London, but neither place had free WIFI. Then yesterday when I got to Scotland blizzard type weather hit. It took FOREVER to get a taxi and then it took even longer to get to my campus building.


The flat that I'm living in (dorm/apartment) is really small! It's not what I really expected, but I'm not completely shocked at the same time. When I first saw it I was a little bummed. I have a small fridge. I don't want to say that it is the size of a mini fridge exactly, but it's like two mini-fridges ontop of each other. One half is the fridge part and the other is the freezer, and I share that with 4-5 other girls. So needless to say I don't have a ton of fridge space. Also we have a mini stove. It's two burners and a convention oven. However there are two toliets, and a fair sized bathroom area. I have an individual room that I can lock which makes me really happy. I wanted to post pictures of my flat along with this post, but due to some issues that I'll explain later that's not possible yet.


My roommates are all really friendly and helpful. They are all from different countries throughout Europe. I know the one is from Denmark and the other is from France. The other girl that I met told me where she was from but I'm not sure exactly what she said.


Overall it's not the worst place that I've ever stayed at. I think that I've got a pretty good system of where I'm going to keep all of my stuff now. Also there are a lot of american international students in my dorm. Right across the hall from me there are two girls that I've become pretty good friends with already, and then I've been hanging out with Jessie, the other girl from BG and another girl that we met at the airport when we arrived. All day we've been meeting people (all american girls), and walking around with each other. I've been in a steady group of 3-5 girls all day, and sometimes more. In about a half an hour I'm going to be meeting a group of about 10 or so possibly more people at "The Watering Hole" And yes it really is a place to meet and hang out called the watering hole. It is literally the next building over from my flat. There is the main check in area, a dining area, a way overpriced convenient store, and then the bar/pub called the watering hole. The name really cracks me up. I guess it's one of the main places that people go to hang out at night. In the day time everyone goes to a place called the Hub which is like BG's student union.


Due to the fact that I need to not E register before I got to campus I could not access internet last night. In order to sign onto the wifi you have an Aberdeen username and password which I had not created yet. Also I have to reconfigure my computer so that it will work here. I was planning on doing this today, but unfortunately it takes 24 hours for my account to be activated so I won't be able to sign onto my own computer until tomorrow or possibly Monday (first business day). After that I should have working internet in my room and be able to post pictures and skype!


In hind site I'm actually really glad that my internet didn't work yesterday, because I was 100% planning on just coming onto the internet and updating my blog, facebooking, and emailing... and due to it not working I had to go out and meet other people. So now I know a bunch of girls in my flat area so I guess it all worked out good! Also the adapter that i brought with me from home didn't work very well, or at least that's what I assume because when I plugged my alarm clock in it blew up after a few mintues. So I went out and got a different adapter that other people have been using that has worked good. So I have my fingers crossed that nothing else will go wrong!


I just wanted to give everyone a quick update and let everyone know I was alright!! I'm going to meet up with some more people tonight and hopefully make some more friends!

Icon of the Seas Trip Review

The night before our cruise we stayed at Dania Point like we have in the past at the Hyatt.  We got there and tried to go swimming but the p...